Commonly called fishmoth, urban silverfish or just silverfish is a small, wingless insect measuring 12-25mm. It belongs to the basal insect order Thysanura, which has existed for over 300 million years.
Habits and Habitats
- A silverfish's favorite food is anything containing starch or polysaccharides,such as dextrin in adhesives.
- These are found in glue,book bindings,paper,photos,sugar,hair and dandruff.
- Silverfish can damage books,tapestries and textiles and commonly graze around showers,baths,and sinks on cellulose present in shampoos and shaving foam.
- Damage caused by silverfish is negligible but can cause damage to cotton,linen,silk,and synthetic fabrics.
- Silverfish can be found but are not limited to sheds,garages,closets,underneath beds,couches and electrical appliances.
- Extreme cases show a silverfish can live 1 year without eating.